Edstaston

St Mary the Virgin 

SY4 5RF   Parking, WC. 

The Grade 1 listed Norman chapel of Saint Mary the Virgin, Edstaston dates back to c1150 and is one of the most complete Romanesque buildings in ShropshireSt Mary's originated as a chapel of ease, and later became a parish church. The east wall was largely rebuilt in about 1300. The south porch dates from 1710. The west end was shortened and rebuilt in about 1723. The church was restored by G. H. Birch in 1882–83. The bellcote and vestry date from the 19th century. The building has rare medieval wall paintings and Victorian stained glass windows. The churchyard is award winning and there is a new church burial ground donated for community use.

One of the amazing Romanesque doorways with its door which is possibly original.

 

 

 

Below:- the spacious interior with its Binns organ, and roof timbers dated 1723.

 

There is a small but dedicated congregation with members of the wider community attending special/ festival services such as Harvest, Christmas, Easter etc.  The PCC work extremely hard to fund raise in a variety of creative ways and parishioners work together to maintain the building and grounds.

For more about this lively and historic church, visit

A Church Near You  https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/4545