St Margaret's Church
SY5 0SR Parking, wheelchair access, open daylight hours
Small, attractive church in a peaceful valley, nestling between the Long Mynd and Ratlinghope Hill. Established in 1209 as a priory church linked to the Augustinian abbey at Wigmore. Restoration works in 1905, when Arts and Crafts windows by James Powell & Sons were installed. In the churchyard, you will find the grave of the last known Sin-Eater in the region - read here for more information.
Picture, right, 'Gathering the Holy Hay'.
The Stiperstones range of hills (including the Devil's Chair) is nearby, and the Shropshire Hills 'Shuttle Bus' stops outside the church gate. In fact this church is at the peaceful centre of Shropshire's beautiful walking country. Further information on local facilities and the surrounding area is given in the Visitor Access section.
Click here for a link to St Margaret's Facebook page
|Introduction and Brief History|
|Munslow Monument - Ratlinghope's Sin Eater|
|Inscription on Munslow Monument|
|List of Known Incumbents|
|Visitor Access and Local Facilities|