All Saints WV5 7DS
Wheelchair access, WC, open daylight hours
Claverley church will offer you a warm welcome at 9.30am or 6.30pm any Sunday, with Sunday school available in term time.
The church has some outstanding wall paintings and a very easy to use guide to highlight the interesting features of the history of the church.
The building is at the heart of the village, and we are pleased that it is open dawn to dusk for visitors, and locals to visit and to pray.
This site in Claverley has probably been a place of worship since before Christianity came to Britain.
Picture by kind permission of Robert Garbett
The yew tree outside of the northeast corner of the Church is over 2,500 years old and such trees were commonly planted in sacred places. The massive foundations under the Chancel are likely to be of Roman origin. A wooden Church was probably built on the foundation in the early part of the 7th Century. The first stone construction was erected in the middle of that Century. The oldest parts of the building of the Church as we see it today are the West wall and parts of the North wall which date to the Norman period, probably the first half of the 12th Century. The lower part of the Tower was built at this time, unusually placed in the south side in the Crusader fashion. The upper part of the Tower was added after 1494 with the buttresses. The buttress projecting into the Nave has a curious niche commonly referred to as the ‘Penitential Seat’, although the origins of the name are lost in history. The Chapel in the North side was built in the late 15th Century using the West wall of the old Vestry as its East wall. The length of the window was determined by the roof of the Vestry as was the north facing window in the sanctuary. The Church has been extended and expanded through the ages.
Grade I listed red sandstone church dating back to 1017 in its foundation. Its later Templar provenance is attested to by its fortress-like structure, and the extensive wall paintings dating to the 13th century, depicting a battle scene. The interior is substantial and contains many hatchments and fine timbered ceilings. There are good examples of stained glass, and a number of memorials and monuments.
Visit the All Saints Claverley website; https://www.claverley-tuckhill.co.uk/
and Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/TheParishesOfClaverleyTuckHill