St Alkmund's Square,
SY1 1UH Open Sunday 9am to 1pm and Saturday 12.30-3pm
Viewing at other times email: info@shrewsburyorthodox.com
Disabled access from the rear entrance.
Parking, town car parks.
WC, including disabled.
St Julian's church is one of the four Saxon foundations in Shrewsbury. The tower dates from the 12th century whereas the present nave was designed by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard who also designed the Iron Bridge at Telford. Pritchard was born in Shrewsbury and baptised in St Julian's Church on 11 May 1723. His rebuilding of the nave and chancel, at the tender age of 25, included a gallery supported by Tuscan columns. The gallery was removed but the elegant columns remain. The stained glass is excellent, especially the east window by David Evans, 'one of his finest works', according to John Leonard. It shows scenes from the life and death of Christ, including a copy of Raphael's 'Transfiguration'. In the south window of the chancel is the figure of St James, early 16th century glass from Rouen, bought in London for £30 during the French Revolution.
St Julians was closed for worship in 1976 and is now privately owned. It was a craft centre for 20 years, and is now used by the thriving Orthodox church on Sundays.
The Orthodox Church started worshipping here on Sundays in April 2023 and have a regular schedule of services.
Check their website for services and opening times: (The History section of the website below refers to the Orthodox church in Dove Close, Sutton, Shrewsbury, which is used by the Orthodox church on weekdays, also a member of SCTG, see Shrewsbury Orthodox)
https://www.shrewsburyorthodox.com