Ratlinghope

 St Margaret's Church

Small, attractive church in a peaceful valley, nestling between the Long Mynd and Ratlinghope Hill. Established in 1209 as a priory church linked to the Augustinian abbey at Wigmore. Restoration works in 1905, when Arts and Crafts windows by James Powell & Sons were installed.  In the churchyard, you will find the grave of the last known Sin-Eater in the region - read here for more information.

The Bridges Pub (food, local ales) and the Youth Hostel are nearby. A footpath along the Darnford brook leads to the Pub, which was used as a film set for the BBC sitcom 'The Green Green Grass'.

The Stiperstones range of hills (including the Devil's Chair) is nearby, and the Shropshire Hills 'Shuttle Bus' stops outside the church gate. In fact this church is at the peaceful centre of Shropshire's beautiful walking country. Further information on local facilities and the surrounding area is given in the Visitor Access section.

 

Contents

Introduction and Brief History
Exterior
Interior
     Windows
     Reredos
Churchyard
     Scott Graves
     Munslow Monument - Ratlinghope's Sin Eater
     Inscription on Munslow Monument
List of Known Incumbents
Visitor Access and Local Facilities