Pontesberie, now Pontesbury, is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The Church is first named in 1254 and that original Church may have been dedicated to St. Bartholomew.
You now enter the church through the new West End room created in 2003, in the space left by the removal of two rows of pews. Furthermore, the church's central position in the life of the village both for worship and for social purposes was recognized and it was decided to provide a facility which will enable the Church to continue to provide the care and service the community.
Particular things to look for include the font, the Eubank window in the north aisle, the East window, the early 17th century oak panelling around the walls, re-using sides to the box pews and the aumbry, where consecrated bread and wine were kept for taking to the sick which dates from 1652 (pictured right).
Visit the St George's website to read more about the work of the church, history, and much more.