Whitton, St Mary the Virgin

St Mary the Virgin

Whitton

   Access via steps from a sunken lane.  Much of the structure dates from the   twelth century - a medieval preaching cross with its 'tabernacle' or 'aumbrey'   stands in the churchyard amongst some 200 recorded plant species.  A visit   in the spring is a must to view the wonderful array of wild flowers, particularly   daffodils.  The chancel, added in 1879, has a masterpiece stained glass   window by Burne Jones and William Morris.

 

  To learn more about the St Mary's church community visit their website.

St Mary's is a Caring for God's Acre church.  For more information on the conservation work of this organisation, visit their website.