Stanton Lacy, St Peter
St Peter’s Stanton Lacy
One of the few churches mentioned in the Doomsday Book (1086) this was once a prosperous place. Beautifully proportioned cruciform Mother Church to Ludlow is originally Saxon, about 1050, with 13th and 16th century additions. Typical Anglo-Saxon stonework in the west and north walls, and part of the north transept, with thin pilaster strips. The blocked north doorway is also typical Saxon style. The chancel is 13th century with the tower and south transept built a century later. Many highly coloured windows.
Victorian improvements include the windows, altar and reredos of Caen stone with beautiful painted panels. Original Gray and Davidson organ. Eighteenth/ nineteenth century churchyard within larger prehistoric enclosure.