St Mary the Virgin Church
Begun 1140, St Mary the Virgin Church is built of sandstone and tufa and has a wealth of features. The nave pillars and arches are Norman, the chancel is Gothic and the clerestory Tudor. The altar frontal is fifteenth century, with a nineteenth century replica. Interesting mediaeval wall painting, and stained glass by Kempe. Victorian restoration.
There are links with the Lee family, of the American Confederacy.
Guided tours by arrangement.
Warm welcome and delicious home-made refreshments available at our imaginatively converted Methodist Chapel (opening times vary - 01746 781277).